Wednesday, February 2, 2011

HomeAway is it all hype?

View from Palm Desert Golf Condo
I just did an analysis of vacation rental stays in my Palm Desert California vacation rental home for the last 12 months. I've been in this particular market for 5 years now, so I've seen a lot change. Just when you think you have an advertising and marketing plan figured out for your particular location and property(ies), something changes. Like the formation of HomeAway in 2005. They bought up the big 4: Cyberrentals, A1 Vacations, VRBO, and GreatRentals. Next in was vacationrentals.com, and it continued. By 2010 the VRBO and Vacationrentals.com brands were still holding their own identities, but the others were really now distant memories and HomeAway got it's big launch with a SuperBowl ad.

By all measures things are good at HomeAway. Their inquiries are up, I'm told their inquiry per property is up, and the number of homes listed is up. However, as a homeowner, I wondered if they were up for me, since in the past the individual companies that made HomeAway worked.

So here are my top producers for the last 12 months. The numbers are based on revenue generated, not inquiries as I certainly got plenty from all parties.

VRBO 63.5%
FlipKey/TripAdvisor 10.7%
Bettervacationrentals.com 8.9%
Vrconnection 4.6%
Coachella 3.9%
Unknown 3.1%
Craigslist 1.3%
Email Marketing 1.3%
Referral 1.3%
Repeat 1.3%

Keep in mind if we add up Bettervacationrentals, Coachella, Craigslist, Email, Referral, and Repeat we get 17% of revenue generated by efforts under my own control. I truly wish that number were much higher as advertising costs have become out of hand for VRBO because of their charges for photos (which are what sells a listing).

Interestingly 37% of my inquiries were from VRBO, whilst 50% of my bookings were. That's a high quality lead. Ironically, I don't like the payment and listing priority model of VRBO, nor their stiff arm management, but that's another blog post. FlipKey/TripAdvisor for whom I have so much hope yielded 19% of inquiries but only 13% of bookings which means they are a lower quality lead. I noticed that even though my calendars are up to date on both, I received more inquiries via TripAdvisor for dates that were already booked.

How is it, though, that there was not 1 single booking sourced from HomeAway? This is the biggest vacation rental listing site in the world! I received at least 30 inquiries from HomeAway guests in the last 12 months. I should have statistically booked 3 stays if they were an average inquiry source. How can the biggest vacation rental listing site underperform so badly? Is it all just hype? Bad luck? A poor presentation of my property? The wrong customer base?

Finally, should I renew my listing with HomeAway?

Would love to hear. Please weigh in.

28 comments:

  1. Melinda, I applaud your efforts to extract ROI information from your historical inquiry data. I too am pursuing this line of reasoning, but on a larger scale. I am now building a company that will, among other things, bring these types of analytics to VR owners. I'd love to speak with you about your needs in this area.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Remember VRBO is a HomeAway company :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you don't keep Homeaway, then stick with VRBO. That's obviously working.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would say possibly give (depending on if you have this data for last year and HA did better in the past) one more year. Then cut if similar results. I do get better ROI from VR.Com and VRBO as well, but my HA ROI is about 18.00/1.00 spent.

    But I realize every market is different. One suggestion, how often do you update your HAC calendar? HA placement depends on how often/how recent your calendar was updated. More Reasent, higher placement. Food for thought...

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. HomeAway does poorly in other markets like Hawaii as well.

    I don't like their marketing strategy or their product. With the new calendar search tool VRBO is better than HomeAway from a consumer point of view. And vrbo isn't that great to begin with (tiny photos, slow to use).

    I think they're wasting vast volumes of marketing money advertising their product to us instead of focusing on selling our product (rentals) to our customers (vacationers).

    At the end of the day it just comes down to the numbers. You have the numbers and they don't work for you. There's no harm in dropping them now and returning in the future if you get 0 bookings today.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Melinda
    Great topic. I, too, find that HomeAway inquiries & bookings rank in lower than VRBO - in fact, the only HomeAway inquiries I even receive come from people who tell me they found me on GreatRentals.
    When I analyzed 2010 results I did see a huge jump in bookings from another HomeAway site, HolidayRentals.co.uk - perhaps because my VR is based in Greece, this other HA site ranks higher in searches? Not sure, though with the way 2011 is starting I think that they just might tie with VRBO for bookings this year (although they do both get blown away by inquiries (not resulting in bookings) from TripAdvisor and FlipKey.
    Carole Heiman Kezios
    greekvacationrentals.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello, Am new to this blog but would just like to say that we used to advertise on Holiday- Rental UK, A1Vacations, etc until they got"taken over or absorbed" by Homeaway. We have noticed a definite drop in enquiries and subsequently firm bookings since then, even with regular updating of our calendars. I think the reason is an excess of properties on HA and would suggest finding and advertising on smaller more dedicated sites that really invest in google positioning, clear ads and plenty photos without breaking owners'pockets. Any suggestions??? We have country type accommodations in Alicante, Spain and am looking to find sites specializing in European holiday homes.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Over 80% of my bookings come from HA Holiday Rentals and its German/French etc add ons. I am in France so it might be due to the geography of the situation. They out perform everyone for me. Have you got the French, Spanish, Dutch, German sites or just the US one? They are also my most expensive listing site. Do you update your availability every 6 days, if not there is not a prayer of anyone finding you. My enquiries peak in the 48 hours after I update.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It will be quite interesting to see if HomeAway can become more profitable without purchases. I don't use any of the foreign sites since it seems most search on the use sites.
    I continue to track performance and am finding that fewer sources are responsible for more revenue.
    3 year data:
    Palm Desert CA:1. VRBO 2: SEO (my sites) 3. Repeat
    Oceanside CA: 1. repeat 2. Referral 3. VRBO
    Georgetown ME 1. Repeat 2. VRBO 3. SEO

    Feels like we're back in 2004 again!
    Does HomeAway report numbers by division?

    ReplyDelete
  11. 10kVacationRentals.com, offers unlimited photos on each listing, and pricing from $99.00 to $59.00 a year for each property. No extra charge for calls or emails. The number of emails/calls will be less than VRBO, but so is the cost. They are growing. Get in on the ground level of their new format property listings. They have changed the site a ton (for the better). As we all where told by our mothers, don't put all your eggs in one basket).

    ReplyDelete
  12. why would you renew a website if you have never received a reservation from it?

    I have over 20 properties on homeaway and generate around 15 - 25 reservations per property per year, you are clearly doing something wrong

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous from 8/22/11 I'd love to hear what location you are at that you are so successful from HomeAway. I do think many people are successful, which is why I wrote the post: to start a conversation. Why consider renewal or re-sign up? Because HomeAway Corp. has huge $$ backing and they are investing in the HomeAway brand to the vacationing public rather than the VRBO brand. I do know that change is inevitable and that owners and managers have to stay on top of changes to stay full.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The problem with home-away is tiering. A 2mln property cannot be placed on the same page as a 250k property. Like commercial airways base campaigns on tiers the same should be done by home-away. I have tried advising them on the matter without success. Sometimes when companies grow too much they become complacent.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ratio between inquiries and bookings in Home Away are pretty low. I don't know the site is really worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Get vacation rentals home to make your holidays enjoyable. HomeEscape offer Cabins & Villas on rent direct from owners within your budget.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you for sharing this with us! I came across your post while I was looking at south walton vacation rentals because me and my wife are planning a mini get away. I'm happy I did because it was a great interesting read, thank you again for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have no idea about homeaway. I am in search of new house in UK. Does homeaway offer its services in UK?

    ReplyDelete
  19. It is so important for estate agents to be professional and have good customer service. I was really impressed with this company.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Nice blog, thanks for sharing the information. I will come to look for update. Keep up the good work.

    summer rental rockport

    ReplyDelete
  21. Maybe its seasonal as there are times that bookings are low and there months that vacation rentals go high.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Well, it depends on the location of the vacation rental property and the amenities available. By this time, you should already have reservations for the summer season. Thanks for sharing this information.

    Florida Seasonal rentals

    ReplyDelete
  23. We've never even considered doing something like this for a vacation....but I'm definitely interested in it now.....Thanks for posting about this...

    sitges holiday & real estate Barcelona

    ReplyDelete
  24. You can easily find the accommodation of your choice for much less than you would imagine.Unlike hotels, vacation rentals have fewer rules. It’s almost like staying at home. For instance, many cheap vacation rentals are pet friendly and they do not have prying eyes following your every move.Here is another rental source, These vacation rentals can often be less expensive as well, since owners do not have to pay commissions to a property management company.

    top vacation rental websites

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love that people do vacation rentals and help others out while they are on vacation. I know this kind of stuff has helped me out before and it is really great to get help in a new environment. I cannot wait to go on my next vacation. Makena Condos in Polo Beach

    ReplyDelete