Saturday, June 25, 2011

I'm Lost or Not?

I arrived in Portland Maine sometime after 11:30 PM which is about 12 hours after I left my home in San Diego. My Maine camp is just 45 miles north of Portland, so I set off in the rental car happy to be "home." Alas, there were some obstacles to overcome, minor for me, but major had I been a first time guest to Maine.

It's drizzly and the roads are wet. This instantly makes signs harder to read. First stop: toll plaza: $1 please. Thank goodness for the crumpled up $1s in my purse. Who carries cash anymore? Next stop taking 295 which seems confusing, and another $1 toll.

I had forgotten there are two seasons in this part of the country: winter and construction. As usual there is plenty of road work and signage to distract anyone on this dark night. The lane markers and the lack thereof add to the discomfort. Mind you,I know where I'm going,but it's been 2 years. I'm driving a rental car and still figuring out the windshield wipers and trying to remember I'm heading north with the water on the right instead of south. By the time I get to exit 31 for Topsham I'm Doubting my memory. The local landmarks are reassuring and I'm feeling good. Until the first detour sign for Rte 1 north. I followed the signs faithfully and end up by Bowdoin, fortunately I knew the way from there because the signs disapparated.

By this time it's well after 1 in the morning and the rest of the winding lightless drive seems so much longer than I remember. When I arrive at the end my signs are illegible and the camp as dark as night. I would be very discouraged if I were a first time guest to this vacation rental. All I could feel was "I'm in the middle of nowhere and it's damp & dark. I wonder how our guests ever get there!

6 comments:

  1. Timing the weather and traveling during a calmer climate would've eluded you from that dilemma. But still, you got there safe and sound. :)








    Please visit our website! Gulluk Resort

    ReplyDelete
  2. vacation rental by owner :The Blue Pigeon resort is located in beautiful Bobcaygeon. Find bobcaygeon resorts 10, cottage rentals, pet friendly cottage rentals. Make a perfect base camp for fishing, hiking, boating.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! such a great and nice representation. Most of people love to spend their vacation on a beautiful and good place. I came to know information regarding
    Vacation Rentals from this blog info.. Thank you too much..

    ReplyDelete
  4. I surprise how much effort you put to create such a great informative website.
    vacation rentals

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good and amazing article, thanks for sharing your knowledge!
    vacation rentals

    ReplyDelete